While some Final Cut Pro 7 users or Final Cut Express 4 users are wondering how to import AVCHD files to Final Cut on Mac, here I would like to show you the official Log & Transfer method and the alternative for importing recorded videos to FCP or FCE.
Use the Log & Transfer window:
- For users with AVCHD video on camcorder or SD card, just connect you camcorder/camera to Apple computer with the bundled USB cable, or use card reader to connect SD card to Apple computer, you can choose File > Log & Transfer to load the camcorder videos.
- For users who have already copy the entire AVCHD folder together with the sub-folders like CLIPINF and PLAYLIST, which includes .cpi and .mpl files, you would also use the Log & Transfer window to load videos.
The Log & Transfer window is used to capture videos from camcorder and trancode to Final Cut supported Apple ProRes 422 or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for editing. The ProRes or AIC file is about 10x larger than the original video footage in .mts or .m2ts format.
Directly import movies:
Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express does not support importing .mts or .m2ts from the AVCHD Stream folder, or a single AVCHD file on Apple computer. Thus, when you choose File > Import > Movies from the FCP menu, you will notice that the .mts or .m2ts files are gray to avoid being selected.
However, we can make each .mts or .m2ts file compatible to FCP/FCE by converting AVCHD to MOV. Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac is the recommended AVCHD to FCP converter for you while you face problems like the below situations.
- There is error message after using the Log & Transfer window to load videos. It might because the large file size generated during the transcoding to Apple ProRes 422 or AIC.
- The camera does not show up in the Log & Transfer window. Final Cut does not recognize the camcorder model yet.
- The .mts files are recorded in 1080/60p or 1080/50p with Panasonic HDC-TM700/SD700/HS700, which are non-AVCHD standard compliant.
- You need to wait for a long time for loading the AVCHD files to Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express before editing.
Below is the screenshot of the Mac AVCHD to MOV converter for editing HD videos on Mac with single .mts video on computer, or do not save the AVCHD file structure with .cpi or .mpl.
Aunsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac is the alternative to Log & Transfer AVCHD to FCP or FCE for editing on Mac Snow Leopard, You can enjoy and share the videos via YouTube and Vimeo, or burning to DVD as you like as output.