Have you ever recorded videos sideways with your Sony, Canon, Panasonic or JVC camcorder or Phone Camera and later realized the mistake? Have you wanted to turn the videos right side up? Take easy, this tutorial here is just to show you how to easily rotate your videos by 180, 270 degrees, and how to flip your videos upside down, vertically or horizontally on Mac and Windows?
1. Rotate or Flip Videos on Mac.
When you recorded videos sideways by your Canon, Panasonic, JVC, Sony digital camcorder, and want a way to turn the video right side up, how to, using iMovie. It is fortunately if you have iMovie 8 or iMovie 9, because it could let you rotate the videos or photos directly. But I’m sorry to tell you that iMovie HD doesn’t have a rotate feature. But now how can I show the ways to flip your recorded videos by using iMovie 8, iMovie 9, iMovie HD? (In normal situation, iMovie 8, iMovie 9, iMovie HD could import recorded HD files, if not, just convert them to iMovie suitable format first.)
(1) Rotate or flip videos or photos in iMovie HD—If you are using iMovie HD, don’t look for a flip function, Apple don’t include a Rotate tool in the Video FX, but fortunately there is a freeware you can download and install that adds a rotate effect to iMovie HD, so you need to download Turn Clip. Then import your video clips, click the Editing button and then click on the Video FX to locate the cf/x (universal) > Turn Clip effect. Then please choose the Rotation Angle and click OK. Then click Apply to render the effect. After the effect is good as you wished, you can save your videos.
(2) Rotate or flip videos or photos in iMovie 8, iMovie 9— iMovie 8, iMovie 9 can rotate photos or video clips in your source video or projects. This is very useful for reorienting your images if you’ve taken a photo or video with your camera held sideways. First please launch iMovie 8 or iMovie 9, import your video clips to iMovie, select the videos to edit, click the Crop button on the tool bar. Then notice the preview windows shows your video clips with some controls overlaid, to rotate your video clips you simply click the left or right arrow to rotate. Once the video clip is oriented correctly, click the Done button and export your videos.
(3) Rotate or flip recorded videos using Aunsoft Video Converter for Mac—Mac Video Converter not only help your to import kinds of recorded files (AVI, MTS, M2TS, M2T, TS, TOD, MOD, MOV, MVI, VRO, etc), convert to any other formats, but also a good and easy helper to give you a favor for flipping vertically and horizontally by single one click. Just free download Aunsoft Video Converter for Mac, launch it, import your video files, click Edit, then in the new interface, click Flip button to rotate the videos and get correct one. You could see the effect in the right preview screen. When the video clip is oriented correctly, click the OK, select output format, and click Convert to export your videos.
2. Rotate or Flip Videos on Windows.
I took a video clip when the camera was held vertically, and when downloaded it to my pc, it was 90 degrees flipped. How do I rotate the file?
(1) Rotate or flip videos or photos in Window Movie Maker—First, please convert your recorded HD file format like MTS, M2TS, M2TS, TS, TOD, MOD, etc to a format readable by the Windows Movie Maker software (e.g .avi, .wmv, .mpg, .mpeg etc video file format). Then import the video clip into Windows Movie Maker, drag the imported video clip and drop it onto the timeline, on the Tools menu, click Video Effects. To rotate the video clip to the right, drag the Rotate 90 video effect and drop it onto the movie on the timeline. To rotate the video clip to the left, drag the Rotate 270 video effect and drop it onto the movie on the timeline. Last, please find File menu, click Save Movie File.
(2) Rotate or flip videos or photos using Aunsoft Video Converter—If you want to convert the video to any other formats like WMV, AVI, MOV, MP4, VOB, MPEG, H.264, etc , at the same time like to edit the clips by rotating, cropping, trimming, Effect, adding logo, etc, please don’t hesitate to download Video Converter now, self-explanatory interface, easy-to-control. Then launch it, import video files, click Edit, click Flip button in the new interface to rotate the videos and get correct one. You could see the effect in the right preview screen. When the video clip is oriented correctly, click the OK, select output format, and click Convert to export your videos.
Hope this article contains all the information you want and help you to rotate your videos simply on Mac and Windows.